This article is a quality article.
|Rated at||140 lbs. (64 kg)|
|First appearance||Super Punch-Out!! (February 1994)|
|Rank||#3 Major Circuit|
Bob Charlie (ボブ・チャーリー Bobu Chārī) made his only appearance in the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!! as the first boxer in the Major Circuit. His look and name are references to the reggae legend Bob Marley. Before leaving Jamaica, Bob Charlie was crowned Jive King of Kingston.
Super Punch-Out!! (1994)
In the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!!, Bob Charlie's signature move is his "shuck and jive" move, which he steps back, dances from one corner to another while shouting "Whoo!" a few times, then does a windmill-like uppercut toward his opponent. He also dances when up close to his opponent. His palette swap is Gabby Jay.
Instant KO Trick:
- Counter his shuck and jive move with a K.O punch
As per the unified rules of boxing established by the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combat Sports:
- His headband counts as a head covering, which is not allowed.
- Boxers with long hair need to keep their hair away from their face, something Bob Charlie does not do, which causes him to risk having his vision obscured or his hair ripped out.
- "People who can't feel the rhythm are so lost. Do you have the rhythm?" (first match)
- "Hey you! You don't seem to have the rhythm." (rematch)
- "Hey mon! Let's have fun once more!" (endgame)
- "Ooh, ooh!" (when he taunts in the start of the match, in his special move and in his KO animation)
- "Yay!" (when he wins to you)
- "Bob, it's time to shuck and jive!" (His cornerman, telling him to move around)
- Many people think that along with Nick Bruiser, Bob Charlie is one of the the only characters in Super Punch-Out!! who does not get dizzy after you punch him a lot. This is not correct, however; starting the match by throwing nine left jabs in a row will dizzy Bob Charlie. These nine jabs can be tricky to perform, though; Bob Charlie sometimes randomly blocks one of these jabs. Super Punching him on the comeback will OHKD him.
- When Bob Charlie falls down for the 10 count, the referee notably keeps counting even as he stands up and seems to be fine, and he falls back down as the ref counts to ten.
- His name and appearance are more than likely based on deceased Reggae musician Bob Marley.
- Bob Charlie has some similarities with Title Defense Von Kaiser, including his fake uppercuts and his shuck-and-jive move.
- If Bob Charlie TKOs you, he says "Yay!" This sound is reused from Gabby Jay.
|Punch-Out!! (1984)||Challenger · Glass Joe · Piston Hurricane · Bald Bull · Kid Quick · Pizza Pasta · Mr. Sandman|
|Super Punch-Out!! (1985)||Challenger · Bear Hugger · Dragon Chan · Vodka Drunkenski · Great Tiger · Super Macho Man|
|Punch-Out!! (1987)||Little Mac · Doc Louis · Glass Joe · Von Kaiser · Piston Honda · Don Flamenco · King Hippo · Great Tiger · Bald Bull · Soda Popinski · Mr. Sandman · Super Macho Man · Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream|
|Super Punch-Out!! (1994)||Little Mac · Gabby Jay · Bear Hugger · Piston Hurricane · Bald Bull · Bob Charlie · Dragon Chan · Masked Muscle · Mr. Sandman · Aran Ryan · Heike Kagero · Mad Clown · Super Macho Man · Narcis Prince · Hoy Quarlow · Rick Bruiser · Nick Bruiser|
|Punch-Out!! (2009)||Little Mac · Doc Louis · Glass Joe · Von Kaiser · Disco Kid · King Hippo · Piston Hondo · Bear Hugger · Great Tiger · Don Flamenco · Aran Ryan · Soda Popinski · Bald Bull · Super Macho Man · Mr. Sandman · Donkey Kong|