|Rated at||110 lbs. (50 kg)|
|First appearance||Super Punch-Out!! (February 1994)|
|Rank||#3 Minor Circuit|
Super Punch-Out!! (1994)
Gabby Jay is the weakest opponent in the game. The story behind him is that he was born in Paris, France, originally working as a waiter in a café near the Eiffel Tower, before he somehow felt the need to take up boxing. According to the game's instruction booklet, his only win was against Glass Joe, which earned him a diploma from the "Glass Joe Boxing School." Like Glass Joe, Jay's signature move is the "Taunt Punch," which he jumps away from his opponent, shouts "C'mon!!" twice, jumps slowly toward his opponent and throws a punch. He will also shout "Yay!" sometimes, which allows him to recover half of his health. Gabby Jay's offensive and defensive skills are also poor, making him very slow to punch. He wears pigeon blue boxing gloves & boxing boots with mint green shorts and his palette swap is Bob Charlie. He will shout "Yay!" three times should he be able to win by KO. If he wins by TKO, he says "C'mon!" twice.
His voice lines are provided by Charles Martinet.
- Jab: Gabby Jay jabs the player. Can be evaded any way except low blocking.
- Hook: Jay throws a hook. This can also be evaded any way except low blocking.
- Body Blow: Jay performs a body blow. This cannot be ducked or high blocked.
- Taunt Punch: Gabby Jay jumps to the back of the ring, says "C'mon", jumps to the players right, says "C'mon" again and returns to the center before throwing a more powerful, unblockable body blow.
- "Back off, catch your breath": When Jay's cornerman says this, he will quickly alternate between high and low blocks and dodge to the side a few times. If Gabby Jay stays in this state for a few seconds, he will shout "Yay" and restore some of his health.
Instant KD Tricks:
- When Gabby Jay shouts "C'mon!!", hit him before he returns to the center.
- When Gabby Jay moves to the left or right after his corner man tells him to stop attacking, hit him in the opposite direction to the direction he moves.
Dizzy Knockdown: When Gabby Jay is dizzied, he will slide to the player's right, then to the left, then return to the center. Hit him when he is in the center to knock him down.
Opponent Debug Commands:
|Nothing on D-Pad||Taunt Punch||Left Body Blow||Taunt Punch||Right Body Blow|
|Up||Health Restore||Left Jab||Health Restore||Left Jab|
|Down||Health Restore||Left Hook||Health Restore||Right Hook|
As per the unified rules of boxing established by the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combat Sports:
- He's 56 years old. Boxers aren't allowed to compete over the age of 40 meaning he should have retired 16 years ago.
- Gabby Jay's mustache is too thick for it to be considered short and neatly-groomed and it can cushion the upper jaw.
- His first match quote is: "Let me win. I've lost so many times I forgot how winning feels." This means he wants Mac to let him win the match. This counts as throwing the match which is not allowed.
Gabby Jay has 3 infractions.
- "Let me win. I've lost so many times I forgot how winning feels." (first match)
- "I like winning! Keep challenging me, it's good for my ego." (rematch)
- "I'll never retire! I can win at least once more. C'mon!!" (endgame)
- "Yay!" (At the start, or when finishing his defensive state)
- "C'mon!!" (When doing his taunt punch)
- "Ouf!" (When hit with a KO Punch)
- "Uuouh..." (When knocked down)
- "Back off, catch your breath" (his cornerman, telling him to switch to defensive)
- Yay! Yay! Yay! (Victory)
- C'mon!! C'mon!! (Time Up Victory)
- The highest score against Gabby Jay is 55,850 by rdrunner0077.
- The perfect time against Gabby Jay on PAL consoles is 0'06"23, first obtained by MeLeeak. On NTSC consoles, this is 0'06"26, first obtained by zallard1.
- His "Yay!" voice clip has become an inside joke amongst fans, with some finding it annoying and others finding it amusing. Some fans have also pointed out that the tone of voice used is also very reminiscent of Luigi from the Super Mario series.
- Gabby Jay shares several characteristics with Glass Joe:
- They serve as the first boxer the player fights in their respective games.
- They are both from Paris, France.
- They both weigh in at 110 lbs.
- They both use the "Taunt Punch" attack.
- They have the same initials (G.J.).
- Their names are both 8 letters long with 5 in their first name and 3 in the last name.
- They are tied for fight experience, each of them having fought 100 bouts.
- Their records are the same, with a record of 1-99.
- At 56 years old, Gabby Jay is the second oldest known active boxer in WVBA History, second only to Hoy Quarlow.
- Gabby Jay is the only fighter to speak when time has ran out.
- Gabby Jay is the second weakest boxer in the franchise behind Glass Joe, whose only victory has been confirmed to be an accident during a match against Nick Bruiser.