|Rated at||120 lbs. (54 kg)|
|First appearance||Super Punch-Out!! (February 1994)|
|Rank||#2 World Circuit|
Heike Kagero (平家陽炎 / へいけ かげろう Heike Kagerō) made his only appearance in the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!! as the second boxer in the World Circuit. He is a Japanese kabuki as well as a standard bishōnen and a spiritual successor of Great Tiger.
As Heike is of Japanese origin, in the Japanese release of Super Punch-Out!! his name is written in Japanese characters; being 平家陽炎 (or as written in Kana; へいけ かげろう). Heike, alongside Hoy Quarlow, are the only opponents in the Japanese version of the game to not feature their names written using characters from the Latin alphabet.
In Japanese, the surname appears before the given name, meaning that "Heike" (meaning "House of Taira", possibly in reference to the Taira clan) is actually his surname/family name and "Kagero" (meaning "Heat Haze" in Japanese) is his given name.
Super Punch-Out!! (1994)
In the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!!, he sometimes swings his long hair against his opponent. He also does his "mirage dance," which is similar to the way Great Tiger moves around before throwing his jab combo in Super Punch-Out!! (arcade), but much faster. Every time he knocks down his opponent, he dances in the corner while waiting for his opponent to stand up. He wears pink boxing gloves, face-paint & women's boots, blue shorts and long gray hair. His palette swap is Dragon Chan. He, Mr. Sandman, Aran Ryan, and Super Macho Man are the only boxers who can get up at the count of 1 in Super Punch-Out!!.
His "mirage dance" will be done in between combos. Similarly to Don Flamenco, he will always throw a quick punch upon getting up. If he wins the match, he will brush his hair aside and run his glove in front of his neck along with him going "Woooo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoooo!". If the player runs out of time, he will instead swing his hair three times.
- Jab: Heike does a jab. Cannot be blocked low.
- Hook: Heike Kagero does a hook.
- Uppercut: Heike Kagero does an uppercut. Cannot be blocked.
- Hair Swings: Heike Kagero taunts, then swings his hair twice, once vertically (dodge) and once horizontally (duck).
- High Attack Combo: Heike taunts, but here, he throws three punches to the face, then an uppercut.
- Low Attack Combo: Heike throws two punches to the body, then he does an uppercut.
- "Show him the mirage dance": When the cornerman says this, Heike Kagero stops standing still between combos and instead starts teleporting rapidly between them. It is still possible to hit him here, but the timing window is short.
Dizzy Knockdown: Heike leans to one side, then goes to the center. Hit him when he is centered.
As per the unified rules of boxing established by the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combat Sports:
- His pink face-paint counts as face covering which is not allowed.
- Instead of boxing shoes or boxing boots, he wears women's boots.
- Boxers with long hair need to cut it or style it in a way to keep it away from their face to avoid it obscuring their vision or getting ripped out, something Heike Kagero does not do.
- In addition, the act of using hair to attack is an illegal maneuver and can distract the opponent.
- While there are no rules regarding the use of magic due to it’s questionable existence in real life, the teleportation used for his Mirage Dance attack would be illegal due to the potential of stalling the match.
- His first quote says: "Be gentle with me, please. Hoo, hoo, hoo, hooo!" He is convincing Little Mac to take it easy on him, this counts as working hurt which not allow in boxing.
- His rematch quote says: "Uh oh! Is it you again?", this is assuming Heike doesn't want to face Little Mac in a rematch. This counts as throwing the match, which is not allowed.
Heike Kagero has 7 infractions
- "Be gentle with me, please. Hoo, hoo, hoo, hooo!" (first match)
- "Uh oh! Is it you again?" (rematch)
- "You are so strong. Hoo, hoo, hoo, hooo." (endgame)
- "Eih!" (When receiving a KO Punch)
- "Guuuh!" (When knocked down or dizzied.)
- Woooo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo, hoooo! (Victory by KO)
- "Show him the mirage dance". (his cornerman, telling him to start teleporting between combos)
- Heike is the youngest opponent in Super Punch-Out!! and in the series, excluding Little Mac.
- Heike is one of only two boxers in the series shown to be using magic, the other being Great Tiger.
- He and Dragon Chan are the only palette swaps who don't share voices at all.
- If the game is paused post-knockout but pre-grunt, then unpaused, a small glitch can be heard where Heike's voice echoes.
- His long hair could be an allusion to how many kabuki actors play female characters due to women being banned from performing.
- There is a pixel of his hair color on his neck during his KD, which is unusual considering that his actual hair is a few pixels to the right.
- This might be just a strand of hair, or a sprite error.
- There is also a pixel of the lighter color of his shorts next to the foot that always faces Little Mac. This may also be a sprite error.