|Rated at||100 lbs. (45 kg)|
|First appearance||Super Punch-Out!! (February 1994)|
|Rank||#2 Special Circuit|
Hoy Quarlow (ホイ・コウロウ Hoi Kōrō) made his only appearance in the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!! as the second boxer in the Special Circuit. He is an elderly Chinese man (most likely a parody of old kung-fu masters), as well as the oldest boxer in the Punch-Out!! series. Utilizing kung-fu in his attacks, he is the game's most unorthodox boxer and as a result, has no palette swap.
His name in Chinese (as found in the Japanese version of Super Punch-Out!!) is 回鍋肉, which is read Huí Guōròu in Mandarin. Huí guō ròu is the name of a Chinese dish, sometimes called "twice-cooked pork". This also means that "Hoy" is his surname, not his given name, since Chinese names are given surname first.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Super Punch-Out!! (1994)[edit | edit source]
In the SNES version of Super Punch-Out!!, Hoy Quarlow attacks mostly with a wooden staff, and also some kicks, even though it is illegal as it's supposed to be a boxing match. Like Dragon Chan, Hoy Quarlow also utilizes kung-fu and kick-boxing. He is considered by gamers to be one of the most challenging opponents to beat because he has fast attacks and quickly avoids most of the player's attacks. Hoy Quarlow also pushes you to the side if he blocks any of your attacks.
He has two special attacks where he waves his staff and thrusts it at his opponent a few times at the head and the body. If he waves his staff high, he will follow with six jabs to the head and four to the body. If he waves his staff low, he will follow with two jabs to the body, three to the head, two to the body, and three to the head. He also has an attack where he spins around and flails his arm at you, similar to Super Macho Man's clothesline attack. This must be ducked.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Please, take it easy on a poor old man, won't you?" (first match)
- "Still a bit wet behind the ears aren't you sonny? You make good exercise." (rematch)
- "You are a spirited one, kid. Spar again with me sometime." (endgame)
- "Huah!" (When using a strong move, like the spin)
- "Huowgh!" (When knocked down)
- "Uhh!" (When hit with a KO Punch, or stunned in which case the audio will play in slowmo)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- He is the most unorthodox boxer in the series. Even his hand jab is cheating: Hitting someone with the inside of your hand is illegal in boxing.
- Holds the record of oldest opponent at 78 years old, and lightest one at 100lbs.
- Hoy Quarlow and Heike Kagero are the only opponents in the Japanese release of Super Punch-Out!! (SNES) to not feature their names written using characters from the Latin alphabet.
|Punch-Out!! (1984)||Glass Joe · Piston Hurricane · Bald Bull · Kid Quick · Pizza Pasta · Mr. Sandman|
|Super Punch-Out!! (1985)||Bear Hugger · Dragon Chan · Vodka Drunkenski · Great Tiger · Super Macho Man|
|Punch-Out!! (1987)||Little Mac · Doc Louis · Glass Joe · Von Kaiser · Piston Honda · Don Flamenco · King Hippo · Great Tiger · Bald Bull · Soda Popinski · Mr. Sandman · Super Macho Man · Mike Tyson/Mr. Dream|
|Super Punch-Out!! (1994)||Little Mac · Gabby Jay · Bear Hugger · Piston Hurricane · Bald Bull · Bob Charlie · Dragon Chan · Masked Muscle · Mr. Sandman · Aran Ryan · Heike Kagero · Mad Clown · Super Macho Man · Narcis Prince · Hoy Quarlow · Rick Bruiser · Nick Bruiser|
|Punch-Out!! (2009)||Little Mac · Doc Louis · Glass Joe · Von Kaiser · Disco Kid · King Hippo · Piston Hondo · Bear Hugger · Great Tiger · Don Flamenco · Aran Ryan · Soda Popinski · Bald Bull · Super Macho Man · Mr. Sandman · Donkey Kong|