The Star Punch is a technique in several installments of the Punch-Out!! series. Once Little Mac has landed a punch at an opportune moment and has received a Star, this special attack can be used to cause extra damage. Doc Louis is the creator of this formidable punch.
In the NES game, Star Punches are actually uppercuts, and are executed by pressing the Start Button. You can only use one star at a time to do one Star Punch, but you can hold up to 3 stars. You lose one star when you are hit, and all if you are knocked down or the round ends.
Super Punch-Out!! (1994)Edit
Full Article: Knockout Punch
The Star Punch returns in Punch-Out!! for the Wii, though it has now changed slightly. Instead of using one star at a time, Mac now uses all of his stars at once to increase the power of his Star Punch, still being able to hold up to three. Receiving any damage will cause Mac to lose all of his stars, but is able to keep his stars in between rounds. A Star Punch will often knock down or knock out an opponent during a stun or when countering.
Doc Louis' Punch-Out!!Edit
- In the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, using the Star Punch just as an opponent releases an attack that requires ducking will allow Mac to duck the attack, then punch him right after.
- In Wii, Little Mac's Three Star Punch resembles a Shoryuken punch done by Ryu and Ken in the Street Fighter series.
- In the NES game, if an opponent gets up on the count of one, a star punch will instantly knock them down again, regardless of how much health they have.
- Curiously, in Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!, Doc can only have 1 star at a time.
- This could be because since Doc Louis invented the Star Punch, he uses a more refined/perfected version of it, seeing as his Star Punch looks similar to Little Mac's Three Star Punch.